Thursday, March 8, 2012

Progress is Progress

Ok, I really enjoyed the poetry we read, however, it’s hard for me to write very much about it. I have never been especially attuned to poetry so find myself struggling with concrete thoughts about a poetry beyond the surface.
So for this week’s blog I thought I would start ranting about the paper that I’m in the middle of writing for this class (though I’m taking the extension, so I will be working on it beyond today).

The only picture I could find online of a "Gold Book" title page.
This paper has taken me forever to figure out what I want to write on, because as much as I love the stories that we read I feel like I should take this opportunity to try news things, and push myself in directions I would have normally thought to approach. So now I’m in the Deweys with WSU’s huge collection of periodicals. Many large old books have been perused, but I finally found the one I want to do: Volume 5 1927, of the Golden Book collection. Specifically June.
The cover of my specific edition

The Awesome Refrig of course.

Revolt of Mother

 I picked this version because “The Revolt of Mother” is published in it. What I’ve eventually come around to is my desire to focus on the intended audience of a monthly literary magazine… The ads seem to definitely target the elite, but more specifically the women of the elite, with new awesome refrigerators and motors that do the sweeping for you! Oh the marvels. So while the ads are targeting these elite women, the text is definitely trying to blur the line from just the elite, and there is of course there is continual propaganda for increased literacy at school… So I guess the question remains, who got these magazines? Was 25 cents a lot??  Meanwhile, not only is Mary Wilkins Freeman published in it, but so are notable authors like Mark Twain and a poem by Stephen Crane!

So what do you think? I’m not sure my direction is great. 

1 comment:

  1. These are some good questions, Ashina, and they get at the heart of the issue of the audience for this publication.

    ReplyDelete